Sunday, April 28, 2013

Assignment # 1

Assignment #1 covers lessons on light direction, brightness, contrast and silhouettes. For this assignment it took me quite a while to find my inspiration. Once I did find inspiration though, I think I did pretty well.

Direction of light - The object of this portion of the lesson was to photograph one object or scene using 3 different directions of light. Specifically, front (light coming from behind camera), side (light coming from right or left of camera) and back (light coming from behind the subject but not shining into the camera lens).

This statute was found in a very small cemetery near a monastery not far from my house. I love both the image itself and the message the statue presents. My favorite of the three is the side lit shot. The images below appear in order of the description above for direction of light. Front lit, side lit and back lit.

Front lighting

Side lighting

Back lighting
 Brightness, contrast and silhouette - This portion of the assignment was for high key (a photo with whites to mid-grey tones but no black tones), low key (a photo with blacks to mid-grey tones but no white tones) and silhouette (or semi-silhouette) and finally contrast where the subject is clearly defined against its backdrop.

I was particularly pleased with how my high key photo came out and the contrast photo. The high key photo I felt was okay at best and silhouette I think I could have done better on, but simply ran out of time before the assignment was due.

High key

Low key
Silhouette

Contrast

Overall, I was pretty pleased with the outcome and felt I did a decent job for only having about 2 weeks to get the shots I needed. I welcome any critiques!

1 comment:

  1. Ooo...so fun. I love the side light shot too, but it's so neat to see the three different lighting for the same object.

    Oh, my goodness. The high key shot is so neat. LOVE IT.

    1st assignment, eh? Well done.

    ReplyDelete