Sunday, April 28, 2013

Assignment #3

Assignment # 3 focused more on area and presentation of the photo. It included lessons on cropping, lens selection (demonstrating compression of lens at various photo lengths) and format choice (vertical vs. horizontal).

Cropping - For this section we were to take one photo of a subject and create one with minimal or no cropping. The second photo was supposed to be made from the first photo but cropped in to non-standard dimensions.

I had gone to the ice festival and Cripple Creek a couple weeks before this assignment, and had found something that I thought I could use eventually in an assignment. Lucky for me, I had just the thing for this part of the assignment. One of the 30 pound blocks of ice used in the ice carving had a flaw in it. Think of an ice cube and the star burst that sometimes appears in the middle of them. For this one to increase the contrast I did play with colors. The photo itself (outside of the color filters) is untouched from what I shot with my camera. This turned out kind of abstract but I really like how it came out.

Not cropped

Cropped
Lens selection - This part of the assignment we were to find a subject to photograph at multiple focal lengths. One at the widest focal length, one at medium focal length (35-70mm) and one at our longest focal length.

I immediately knew what I would photograph for this. I went to Castlewood Canyon park and shot images down the canyon looking at the bridge there. I had initially wanted to get under the bridge and shoot it from the side (showing the pillars underneath which would be nice repetitive image). Unfortunately the trail that leads there was closed for the season so I had no choice but to shoot from the angle demonstrated below.

18mm
38mm
105mm
Format choice - For this portion of the assignment, we needed to shoot a subject that would best be shot in horizontal format and one that would best be shot in vertical format.

I think I did pretty good with this one. The reflection image was taken in Castlewood Canyon. The other was a wagon found on the road home.

Vertical format

Horizontal format

1 comment:

  1. So fun for me to read this. I learned so much. Pretty shots you have here too. What a fun class for you. I must admit, I'm slightly jealous. Thanks for sharing, Kim. I'm eating it all up. Okay, devouring your posts.

    ReplyDelete