Sunday, April 28, 2013

Assignment #2

Assignment # 2 covered lessons on color of light, quality of light, color vs. black and white, and accent.

Color of light - We were to produce a photo where the center of interest was one of warm colors (reds, oranges, yellows) on a cool background (blues, greens, purples).

As it happened, I attended a dog show with a friend during the time that I was working on this photography assignment. Red dogs lend themselves quite nicely to the type of photo I needed. I ended up with a photo of a Pharaoh Hound on the blue floor covering in the final ring.

Color of light (warm subject on cool background)
 Quality of light - For this part of the assignment we needed to shoot one subject lit by specular light (direct light such as sunlight), and also an image of that same subject lit in diffuse light (think cloudy or foggy conditions).

I wasn't as happy with this portion of the assignment, but really didn't have a lot of inspiration for this part of it. I spent so much time hoping that the dog show would provide that I didn't spend enough time on this portion. My own fault. Live and learn I guess. On the plus side, the iridescent feathers on the mallard's head does show the difference in light quite well as do the shadows in the specular light shot.

Specular light

Diffuse light
Color vs. black & white - This part of the assignment was to demonstrate the potential for subjects being displayed in color vs. black & white. Think of something like an image of flames in black & white or in color. Color makes you almost feel the heat whereas black & white doesn't have that effect.

Okay I admit I "cheated" for this one and used an image I had from a while back. I have kind of presented a personal challenge for myself for this class to try to use images created specifically as part of the assignment. I'll try harder from this point on. Honest! For these two photos, notice the warmth in the color image and how the texture of the chipmunk's fur is more noticeable in the black & white.

Color

Black & white
Accent - This portion of the assignment was designed for us to find a subject that was predominately one color with just a little accent of another color that makes you notice that accent.

For this portion, I used my cat Nikita as my subject. Initially I turned it in with the color cranked up on her eyes, but per the request of my instructor I revised it and toned her eyes down and made the rest of the image black & white. I think I like the last one the best. It looks more like my cat anyway.

Initial accent photo

Revised accent photo

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my goodness. This assignment totally reminds me that even photography and the editing thereof is SO SUBJECTIVE, along with any art medium. Interesting that your instructor advised you to revise your kitty shot. When I first looked at the two, I really like the original the best. Yes, the second may be more realistic, blah, blah, blah, BUT I thought the first was an eye catching edit.

    Love the chipmunk shots. So cute and I'm in love with it's tail.

    Not to be funny, but cool background with the hound shot.

    Diffuse light vs. Specular light. Totally learned something new tonight. Thank you. I just love light and the many effects it can have. So diverse.

    ReplyDelete